The staff and students at CCS take great pride in our Falcon Athletics. We offer a full spectrum of activities for all students from grade 6-12. The year starts with golf, cross-country, football, soccer and volleyball. Just before Christmas break basketball and curling get started and these sports run until spring when badminton and track take over to finish out the year.
In the 20 years that CCS has offered high school athletics we have won 4 provincial basketball titles and numerous city championships in volleyball, badminton and track + field! We have seen a number of our athletes go onto post-secondary athletic endeavors. CCS strives to provide coaches that are not only passionate about their sport but also have a passion to instill solid moral character within their players.
This year we are thrilled to announce that our very own Sr. Girls Volleyball coach has received the honor of being named the South Central Male Coach of the Year! Congrats Mr. Behrns on the well deserved award!
Below are a few facts about Lee.
Years Coaching: 22
Sports Coached: Volleyball & Badminton
- Lee started the Boys Volleyball program at CCS in 1998 .
- He took the Boys Teams to 10 SHSAA Boys Provincial Championships.
- Also in that time CCS won a SR boys City Title and 2 JR Boys City Titles.
- In 2003 the team was awarded the SHSAA Sportsmanship banner at provincials.
- In 2018 he switched over to the SR Girls Volleyball Program to coach his daughter.
- He guided the SR Girls to their first ever Provincial Appearance in 2019.
- He was the initial coach of the CCS Badminton team in 1998.
- He has been the MJHSAA Badminton Commissioner for many years.
- He was Co-commissioner with Larry Segall for SHSAA Badminton Provincials when Moose Jaw last hosted.
- He led CCS to their first ever MJHSAA SR Team Badminton Title in 2019.
- He has coached many city champions in both SR and JR Badminton.
- He has coached 3 athletes to SHSAA badminton provincials.
- In the last 2 years CCS has had the bronze and silver medalist in Girls Singles at SHSAA Provincials.
- Lee moved to Moose Jaw in 1998, with his wife Caroline, to begin his teaching career at CCS.
- Lee and Caroline have two children - Kenzie ( Gr 11 ) and Tanner ( Gr 8 )
- Lee has grown a lot during his time at CCS – he has gone from a 135 lb scrawny kid who would get confused for a player on his volleyball teams to a 190 lb “Jacked” lifting machine.
- Lee played hockey and softball in the community. He started the ReMax team in the Men’s Softball League.
- Lee has been involved with all levels of sport in MJ - helping to run elementary sports, coaching hockey and flag football in MJ.
- Lee has taught a wide variety of things at CCS but has specialized in SR Maths. He has taken his passion for fixing small engines to a new level as he has been running a very successful small engine repair business for the last few years.